Wednesday, November 23, 2016


When to use BE GOING TO   (Use)

Intention/Plans

We use the be going to construction when we have the intention to do something before we speak. We have already made a decision before speaking.

BE GOING TO is normally used to indicate the future but with some type of connection to the present. We use it when we have already decided or we intend to do something in the future:

  • They're going to retire to the beach - in fact they have already bought a little beach house.

  • I have won $1,000. I am going to buy a new TV.
  • We're not going to see my mother tomorrow.
  • When are you going to go on holiday?  ------Where are you going on holiday?
  • When are you coming back?
(With the verbs go/come, use Present Continuous instead)

In these examples, we had an intention or plan before speaking. The decision was made before we spoke.

Prediction

We often use going to to make a prediction about the future. Our prediction is based on evidence. We are saying what seems sure to happen. When there are definite signs that something is going to happen:

  • The sky is very black. It is going to snow.
  • It's 8.30! You're going to miss the train!
  • I crashed the company car. My boss isn't going to be very happy!
  • I think it is going to rain - I just felt a drop.

In these examples, the present situation (black sky/the time/damaged car) gives us a good idea of what is going to happen.

When something is about to happen: (imminent)

  • Get back! The bomb is going to explode
  • Watch out! The chandellier is going to fall!

1 comment:

  1. How Lemeridian funding service  grant me a loan!!!

    Hello everyone, I'm Lea Paige Matteo from Zurich Switzerland and want to use this medium to express gratitude to lemeridian funding service for fulfilling his promise by granting me a loan, I was stuck in a financial situation and needed to refinance and pay my bills as well as start up a Business. I tried seeking for loans from various loan firms both private and corporate organisations but never succeeded and most banks declined my credit request. But as God would have it, I was introduced by a friend named Lisa Rice to Le_meridian funding service and undergone the due process of obtaining a loan from the company, to my greatest surprise within 48hrs just like my friend Lisa, I was also granted a loan of $216,000.00 So my advise to everyone who desires a loan, "if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan online with low interest rate of 1.9% and better repayment plans/schedule, please contact Le_meridian funding service. Besides, he doesn't know that am doing this but due to the joy in me, I'm so happy and wish to let people know more about this great company whom truly give out loans, it is my prayer that GOD should bless them more as they put smiles on peoples faces. You can contact them via email on {lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Or lfdsloans@outlook.com} or Text through Whatsapp +1-989 394 3740.

    ReplyDelete