Friday, May 29, 2015

FIRST CONDITIONAL, ALTERNATIVE WORDS


Conditional 1

ALTERNATIVE WORDS

 

It is possible to use other words instead of if in first conditional sentences:

 

ALTERNATIVE TO  “IF”
WHY USE IT?
EXAMPLE
When
When the “condition” will definitely happen.
When I die, I’ll leave all my money to charity.
As soon as
To emphasize immediacy
This situation is very urgent. I’ll call you as soon as I have more information.
Unless
In place of “if not”
You’ll fail the test unless you study.
= You’ll fail the test if you don’t study.

 

Let’s study each case separately.

When:

When the “condition” will definitely happen in the future.

Look at the difference between these two sentences:

  • If I see Sam, I’ll give him your message. (I’m not sure if I will see him or not)
  • When I see Sam, I’ll give him your message. (I will definitely see Sam)

 

As soon as:

To emphasize immediacy.

  • My feet hurt! As soon as I get home, I’m going to take off these high heels.
  • As soon as we have enough money saved, we’ll take a vacation to Costa Rica. We can’t wait!
  • I’ll respond to your e-mail as soon as I can.

 

Unless:

Substitute for “if not.”

  • You won’t lose any weight unless you start eating healthier food.
    = You won’t lose any weight if you don’t start eating healthier food.
  • I’m not going to dance unless somebody invites me.
    = I’m not going to dance if somebody doesn’t invite me.
  • Unless there’s an emergency at work, I’ll be home on time.
    = If there’s not an emergency at work, I’ll be home on time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment